Monday, March 4, 2013

Help With Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

SNAP logo
10 Steps to Help You Fill Your Grocery Bag
Through SNAP
Learn If You or Someone You Know
Might Be Eligible for the  Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Number 1.Use the Internet Tool.
If you want to find out if you could be eligible, check out the Internet tool at . Your local library usually has computers you can use.
Number 2.Call or Go to the Local SNAP Office.
If you think you might be eligible, call or go to the local SNAP office. Look in the blue pages of your phone book under “Social Services” or “Human Services” to find the number. If you need help finding your local SNAP office, call the national toll-free SNAP information line at 1-800-221-5689.
Number 3.Get an Application Form. 
There are five ways to get an application form:
  • Pick it up at a local SNAP office, or 
  • Call the local SNAP office. Ask the worker to mail it to you, or 
  • Ask the SNAP worker if there are other places where you can pick up the form, or
  • Print the form from your State’s web page, or
  • Apply online (This is not yet available in all State).
Number 4.Fill Out the Application Form.
Fill out the SNAP application form as much as you can. If you need help, ask the SNAP worker. You can ask a friend or people who work at places like legal services or food banks to help you fill out the form.
Number 5.Return the Application Form to the SNAP Office.
Get the application form to the SNAP office as quickly as possible by taking it to the local SNAP office, mailing or faxing it, or by submitting it online where States provide this option. If you pick up your application form at a SNAP office, put your name and street address on the form and sign it. Leave that part of the form (usually the first page) at the SNAP office. This starts the process and helps you to get healthy food sooner, if you are eligible. Take the rest of the form with you to fill out later.
Number 6.Make an Appointment for an Interview.
Make an appointment for an interview with a SNAP worker. If you are at a SNAP office, ask the SNAP worker to write down what you need to bring to the interview. If you are calling for an appointment, ask the SNAP worker what you should bring.  Here are examples of some papers that you might need to bring:
  • Driver's license or State identification card;
  • Birth certificate;
  • Pay stubs;
  • Agency letter showing money received, like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits, child support, alimony, unemployment, retirement, etc.;
  • Rental agreement or letter from your landlord, or mortgage statement that shows your address;
  • Utility bills, such as electricity, gas, and water;
  • Cancelled checks for daycare or child support payments for your child(ren); and
  • Medical bills that you pay (if you are 60 or older, or disabled);
Number 7.Get Papers or Other Information.
Get the papers or find the other information that the SNAP worker needs to finish your application. If you need help getting the papers, ask the SNAP worker, a relative, a friend, or a community representative to help you.
Number 8.Go to the Interview.
Go to the interview with the SNAP worker. Bring your papers with you. Ask the SNAP worker to make copies. Keep your original papers. If you need help filling out the application form or getting the information needed to finish your form, ask the SNAP worker. You may bring a friend or community representative to help you understand how to complete the process. If you can’t go to the SNAP office for the interview, ask for a telephone interview. Or you can okay a friend or relative to go in your place.
Number 9.If You Are Approved, Go Grocery Shopping.
If you are approved for SNAP benefits, you will receive an EBT card (similar to a bank card or ATM card), and your SNAP benefits will be transferred electronically to the EBT card. To find stores that welcome SNAP benefits, go to the SNAP Retailer Locator at and click the “Select Location” link. Enter a street address, city and State, or zip code. Now you’re ready to go grocery shopping! Add lots of fruits, vegetables, whole-grain foods, and other good food to your shopping cart. Ask your local SNAP worker for information about nutrition education (SNAP-Ed) classes for you and your family. SNAP-Ed can help you learn more about stretching your food dollar; shopping; cooking easy, quick, tasty and healthy meals; and being more physically active for better health.
Number 10.If You Are Not Approved, Ask Why.
Call or visit the SNAP office to ask why you were not approved. You may ask to speak with the SNAP worker’s boss. If you think there is a mistake, you may ask for a “fair hearing.” This means that a State person will meet with you and the SNAP office to discuss your application. Fair hearings do not cost you any money. 

SNAP logo

Need More Information on the SNAP?
Call: 1-800-221-5689

Go to the SNAP website at 

Thursday, October 27, 2011

New York City Listing Of Free And Low-Cost Dental And Eye Care

Dental Care

Lutheran Medical Center Dental
150 55th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Sliding scale fees between $15-$50 for the first visit, proof of income needed. Must make an appointment.

New York City Technical College
300 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY
Provides cleaning, fluoride treatment, and x-rays. All services performed by dental hygiene students and supervised by licensed dental hygienists and dentists. All services are $10.

New York University David B. Kriser Dental Center
345 East 24th Street
New York, NY 10010
212.998.9810, Community Outreach
Medicaid accepted, fee charged for uninsured individuals.


Eye Care

Kress Vision Program Of New York Downtown Hospital
170 William Street
New York, NY 10038
“Provides no-charge eye health and vision screening and eyeglasses to referrals from agencies serving the uninsured underpriviliged who cannot otherwise secure such care.”

New Eyes for the Needy
549 Millburn Avenue
PO Box 332
Short Hills, NJ 07078
“New Eyes for the Needy purchases new eyeglasses for poor children and adults in the United States and recycles donated glasses for distribution to indigent people in developing nations worldwide.”

Park Ridge Family Health Center of Lutheran Medical Center
6311 4th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Must make an appointment. Sliding Scale starting between $15-$50 for the first visit, proof of income needed.

National Eye Care Project
Medical eye care for US citizens and legal residents, age 65 and older. No financial qualifications. Referral service. Medicare or other health insurance will pay the cost of the care, if without insurance and in need of care, treatment will be provided at no charge.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ramsey County, Minnesota Low Income Financial Services Programs

Financial Assistance Services provides support to low-income residents of Ramsey County. We determine eligibility for public assistance programs such as Medicaid, Food Support, General Assistance, Child Care and the Minnesota Family Investment Program.

Note: If you currently have Medicare or will qualify in the near future, you should learn about Medicare D, the new prescription drug coverage program. Go to Minnesota Department of Human Services for more information on Medicare-related programs.

New System, New Access in Community Human Services/Financial Assistance Services


Cash and Food Programs

The following programs help low-income people with Cash or Food support. Click on the program links for further information about the programs. Click here for information on How to Apply for Cash or Food Support assistance in Ramsey County.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) - This program helps to pay childcare costs for low-income working families.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - This program is Minnesota's Cash and Food Assistance program for families who need assistance.

Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - When most families first apply for cash assistance, they will participate in the Diversionary Work Program, or DWP. This is a 4 month program that helps parents go immediately to work rather than receive welfare.

Food Support Program (FS) - This program helps low-income people with their food costs.

Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP) - Non-citizens not eligible for FS may qualify for the MFAP.

General Assistance (GA) - This program serves as Minnesota's primary safety net for single adults and childless couples. The GA Program provides monthly cash grants for vulnerable persons whose income and resources are less than program limits.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - This program is a state funded program that provides a monthly cash supplement to people who are aged, blind or disabled and who receive federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

Group Residential Housing (GRH) - This program is a state-funded income supplement program that pays for room-and-board costs for low-income adults who have been placed in a licensed or registered setting with which a county human service agency has negotiated a monthly rate.

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - This program coordinates services to assist refugees in making the transition to life in the United States. These services include resettlement and placement, cash and medical assistance, and employment and social services.


Health Care Programs

The following programs help low-income people with coverage for medical bills.

Medical Assistance (MA) - This program assists child under the age of 21, parents or relative caretakers of dependent children, pregnant women, people who are 65 or older and people who have a disability.

General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC) - This program serves low-income adults, ages 21-64, who have no dependent children under age 18 and who do not qualify for federal health care programs.

Other Health Care Programs - There are a variety of health care programs available to assist specific groups of people. These include persons in Nursing Homes, at-home care services, etc. the Department of Human Services web site is a good source of information on these programs.

Emergency Programs

The emergency aid programs available in Ramsey County include:

Ramsey County Emergency Assistance (EA) - This program is for low-income families experiencing a financial crisis.

Emergency General Assistance (EGA) - This program primarily helps low-income individuals experiencing a financial crisis.

Emergency Minnesota Supplemental Aide (EMSA) - This program is only available to persons currently receiving MSA.

Emergency aide is usually provided in the form of specific payments for shelter or other emergency expenses, which cause a threat to the health or safety of the individual or family. People currently active on a program with Financial Assistance should call their caseworker to apply for emergency aide. People not currently on assistance with Ramsey County can call 266-4444 to get information on how to apply for emergency aide.

Emergency Shelter/Help for the Homeless - Ramsey County has a variety of services available to those who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. Intake services for homeless persons are coordinated through The Family Place. For information on what to do if you are homeless or in danger or becoming homeless call The Family Place at 651-225-9354 or 651-225-9355.


How to Apply

If you wish to apply for cash or food programs, please come to our offices at 160 East Kellogg Blvd., Government Center East, St. Paul, MN 55101.

To access application forms and get further information from the Minnesota Department of Human Services, please go to their website.

To have Ramsey County mail you an application, or for further information about applying for services or our programs, call 266-4444.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Cincinnati, Ohio 2011 Christmas Help For Low Income Families

Christmas Holiday Assistance 2011
The Salvation Army of Greater Cincinnati 6381 Center Hill Avenue Phone: 513-242-9100
Cincinnati, Ohio 45224 Fax: 513-482-7265
(main site)

Holiday gifts/toys
Documentation Required:
to qualify families must have low income and children under 13 years old. Also required: Picture ID, Proof of low income, birth certificate of child.
Must go through intake procedure for signup times. Call to make arrangements.
* * * * *
Churches Active in Northside
4230 Hamilton Avenue Phone: 513-591-2246
Cincinnati, Ohio 45223 Fax: 513-591-2262

Christmas Baskets and Holiday gifts/toys
Must be in the 45223 zip code area.
Documentation Required:
Photo ID for head of household, birth certificate, social security cards for each member of household, proof of residence in Northside area 45223 zip codes only (utility bill)
By appointment – 513-591-2246
* * * * *
Fresh Start Victory Center
7429 Hamilton Avenue Phone: 513-985-0668
Cincinnati, Ohio 45231

Holiday gifts/toys
Zip codes served: 45224, 45239, 45251, 45231, 45215, 45240, 45246, 45218
Documentation Required:

Hours: 12/10/11 – 11:00 a.m – 1:00 p.m. – first come, first served
* * * * *
St. Leo Church
2573 St. Leo Place Phone: 513-921-1044
Cincinnati, Ohio 45225

Holiday gifts for children
Children in the 45225 zip code only
Documentation Required
: Proof of residency (utility or phone bill), picture ID, Birth Certificate, 16 years or younger.
Sign up on Monday 10/17/11 or Saturday 10/22/11. 9:00 a.m. – 12 noon each day.
* * * * *
Northeast Emergency Distribution Services
8341 Kenwood Road Phone: 513-891-0850
Cincinnati, Ohio 45242

Holiday gifts/toys (Adopt a family) and Christmas baskets

Documentation Required: Photo ID, call for an appointment
Call for appointment, October 18, Tuesday or Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. for Adopt a Family. Will take names after December 1, 2011.
* * * * *
Washington United Church of Christ
2950 Sidney Avenue Phone: 513-541-7757
Cincinnati, Ohio 45225 Fax: 513-541-7579

Holiday gifts/toys for children 16 years old and younger
Serving the following zip 45225 and 45214 residents only
Documentation Required:
Picture ID, proof of residence, Social Security card for each child in household, proof of Household members.
Call for registration. 513-541-7757
* * * * *
Mercy Franciscan at St. John
1800 Logan Street Phone: 513-981-5800
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202 Fax: 513-981-5899

Christmas Baskets and Holiday gifts/toys
For clients only
Call Main number 513-981-5800
* * * * *
Valley interfaith Food and Clothing Center
420 West Wyoming Avenue Phone: 513-821-3212
Cincinnati, Ohio 45215

Holiday gifts/toys for children. Distribution day is 12/15/11.
Serving the following zip 45215, 45216, and parts of 45217(St. Bernard)
Documentation Required:
Must be a client of Valley interfaith, proof of residency, social security cards and birth certificates for household members.
Applications accepted 10/3/11 in person until full
* * * * *
Anderson Ferry Church of Christ
380 Greenwall Road Phone: 513-451-3555
Cincinnati, Ohio 45238

Holiday gifts/toys for children.
Serving the following zip codes: 45001, 45002, 45204, 45211, 45233, 45238, 45211, 45247, 45248, 45030, 45241, 45052
Documentation Required:
Proof of address, Proof of children’s age, birth certificate
Christmas Holiday Assistance (con’t)
Monday – Thursday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Please call first.
* * * * *
St. Vincent De Paul Society
1125 Bank Street Phone: 513-421-0602 – Callers are
Cincinnati, Ohio 45214 asked to leave messages for call back.

Christmas Baskets
Open to clients in the food pantry area: 45202, 45203, 45211, 45214, 45219, 45225, 45229, 45232
Documentation Required:
ID for each household member, proof of address
Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 9:00 a.m. on a walk in basis
* * * * *
Feast of Love – College Hill Presbyterian Church
5742 Hamilton Avenue Phone: 513-541-5676 ext. 167
Cincinnati, Ohio 45224

Christmas Meals
No registration, no restrictions
Documentation Required:
12/25/11 – 1:30 p.m. 4:30 p.m.
* * * * *
Our Daily Bread
1730 Race Street Phone: 513-621-6364
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202

Christmas Meals
No registration, no restrictions
Documentation Required:
Lunch served, Friday 12/23/11, 9:45 a.m. – 12:00 noon
* * * * *
Tri-County Soul Ministries
11177 Springfield Pike Phone: 513-772-2277
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246

Christmas Baskets
Must be a current client.
By appointment, must be current client call 513-772-2277 for registration for Christmas food
* * * * *
Inter Parish Ministry
3509 Debolt Road Phone: 513-561-3932
Cincinnati, Ohio 45244

Christmas Baskets, Toy program
Zip codes: 45244, 45255, 45230
Documentation Required:
Picture ID, social security # for each child, proof of income (Medicaid cards, food stamp ID), proof of residence (rent, receipt)
Christmas Holiday Assistance
Sign up: 11/1/11 and 11/3/11 - 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. for appointments
current clients or new clients
Birth certificates, SS Cards, WIC card, report card or medical card for each minor child.